The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Easiest String Instrument to Play?

I've been asked this question a lot. “What is the easiest string instrument to play”. I don't really know but I can offer my opinion based on my experience. Full disclosure: I play (more or less) guitar, banjo (clawhammer), fiddle, mandolin, autoharp and dulcimer (lap). Let's limit this to the first four instruments. When I talk playing an instrument I mean playing instrumentals not just strumming. Ok, some ground rules are in place. I think the easiest instrument on which to play tunes is (drum role dddddddrum) THE FIDDLE! Number two is the banjo, number three is the mandolin and the hardest by far is the guitar. Just because it has no frets folk think fiddle is hard to play but not so. Every instrument has its challenge point and intonation is a biggy on the fiddle. But with a good ear, one can learn good intonation. What do you think?

Cancel
Hiding 6 posts. Click to show.

The easiest instrument to play is the one that you love to listen to. The one that jumps out from a band so clearly that you only listen to and for that sound. And when you do hear it, the sound of it remains with you even after you no longer see the player nor hear the audio device that produced the sound. With that instrument, learning is a joy. not a boring commitment towards acquiring a skill. Even when you go on to playing other instruments, you will always return to that one sound that captivated you and enticed you to create the magic of that one unique sound that drew you to the joy of music. Jump in, everything that clouds your day floats away when you are alone with your chosen instrument. Join us and you will understand what is written here. Welcome to our world.

Cancel

I picked up Get Started Plus # X000F1152Z at least a year ago. Since, I have dabbled with the 5 string banjo, the mandolin, and now a fiddle.I find I have had more success with the fiddle. Nothing to brag on, but more forward movement. I had no trouble with the picking or string patterns, and pretty much understood all you tried to tell me. My problem came when I got to the tunes themselves. Boy did I miss the boat somewhere on that one. Tuesday morn about 4 a. m. I woke up and it finally dawned on me how this system is supposed to work. I couldn't see how I was supposed to figure the string patterns for it all. Must of gone to bed with it on my mind. Anyhow the light went off I got up and took out my book Again, and the I IV V fell into place. It don't need to be said that some are a little slower on the uptake than most. Anyhow I got it all now and will never loose it. Also got the strum machine today and that will be a keeper as well. Glad you weren't hear to hear all the ranting and raving for the past while, but thanks for your system I will progress like I have always wanted to now.

Cancel

It takes a while. I've played fiddle for years but still practice almost every day. My wife can put the fiddle down for weeks and pick it up to play like she never quit. Not me - I need to keep at it. That is also true of the banjo and guitar for me.

Cancel

Surely this Chord Harp must be the easiest string instrument to play?

http://www.harps.com.au/index.php/hika/product/40-chord-harp

Cancel

Yes Pat, I'm sure you are correct but I was trying to limit the discussion to instrumentals on the BIG FOUR: fiddle, banjo, mandolin and guitar. The harmonica is very easy, just like whistling, as is the kazoo but neither is a string instrument and they aren't part of the BIG FOUR. But thanks for your comment. I was in a jam this winter in Florida where a guy played one of those, very nice sound.

Cancel
to write a reply.