The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Oh Lord, Won't You Get Me Out of This Hole

Oh Lord, won't you get me out of this hole! Greetings! My dad was born and raised in a holler near Harlem, Kentucky (Thornton) in 1914 and played guitar in a very local group hoping one day to go to Nashville. They never made it, but their hopes were high. My dad used to sing a humorous favorite that I've never heard before and can't find the lyrics anywhere. Has anyone else out there ever heard them. I can only remember the chorus. It goes like this: “Oh Lord, won't you get me out of this hole. Oh Lord, won't you get me out of this hole. I'll never rob another chicken roost or roll the dice for gold. Oh Lord, won't you get me out of this hole.” it would be awesome if anyone at all would recognize this!

Cancel

I haven’t heard this one, but I might have found it! For you!!

http://digitalcollections.uark.edu/cdm/ref/collection/OzarkFolkSong/id/2269

Let me know what you think!

Wade

Cancel

I believe Wade beat me to it. Haha
Look at the link on this page. It takes you to a PDF of the lyrics and a recording of the song.
https://www.umbrasearch.org/catalog/b7a8d5a10ba4cca42773d750e985daa178f461d5

Cancel

It’s an interesting song except for the racist lyric, which I despise and will remove if I ever sing it. Anyone have an idea of the chords?

Edited Aug 9, 2019 by Wade Farrow
Cancel

Wade, change “a poor —— soul” to “this poor soul”

Cancel

What a beautiful song! I love it and thanks to the members who shared it. God bless you!

Cancel

Even better, you can change “ a poor n**ger soul” to “a poor sinner's soul” – this way it will fit the bar just the same as before!

Edited Aug 14, 2019 by Dennis Kitainik
Cancel

Wow! I haven't looked recently for replies. I am so thankful to you, Wade Farrow and Jeff Jones. This is the song my Dad sang! I never heard him use or mention the racist lyric, so I'm in total agreement with you about using it in this day and age. But it's interesting that it was used in this version at the time. Thanks again for this gift to my family!

Cancel
to write a reply.